Friday, July 11, 2008

Shocker: Radulov Off To Russia

Alexander Radulov's flash-and-dash skill set will be on display for european fans next season.

Radulov became the latest NHLer to bolt from North America to Europe today, as the 22-year old forward signed with Ufa of the Russian Superleague on Thursday. The Russian Superleague is the existing league in Russia, not to be confused with the new Russian Continental Hockey League.

from TSN:
Radulov, who is still under contract with the Nashville Predators, said he had warned the team that he wanted to play in Russia.

"I told my bosses in Nashville that I wanted to play at home and some Russian clubs were offering me much better conditions than I had in Nashville," Radulov told the Russian media.

"They said they would call me back but never phoned. It seems that they were either not really interested in me or just did not believe I could return home. One way or another, I'm happy to come home."

I doubt they weren't interested in Raddy, but they really dropped the ball on trying to call his bluff.

The former Quebec Rempart added that it was unlikely that the Predators would be able to demand his return to North America, as the NHL had no transfer agreement with either the Russian Superleague or the new Continental Hockey League at the time.

No comments: